Ankle Sprain 足踝扭傷

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 戶外大夫專欄 Outdoor Doctor Forum: Ankle Sprain 足踝扭傷
   By ckching on Wednesday, December 27, 2000 - 6:22 pm:  Edit

Hello all hiking experts,
I have joined hiking activities for about one year.and I enjoyed very much.Recently my feet feel very painful.I can't go on hiking for the last two weeks.
could anyone tell any medicine to cure my painful feet,so thatI can go on hiking again. Thanks

By . on Tuesday, January 02, 2001 - 8:29 pm:  Edit

Rest more!
Prevention is better than curing!
DO NOT RUSH DOWNHILL!

By Manson on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 10:07 pm:  Edit

Dear Outdoor Doctor,

I sprain my ankle during a hiking trip 5 days ago. It is still painful now. What should I do now to promote the healing? How long should I wait before going out for another hiking trip again. Thank you.

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 10:16 pm:  Edit

Rest.

Don't go hiking now . Make sure that you don't get fracture (i.e. broken bone) of your ankle . Normally a fracture causes very severe pain with huge swelling and bruising. It can be so painful that you can't stand at all. If you are not sure, go to see a doctor who may order an X ray for you.

If it was really an ankle sprain, you still need to rest your ankle for a certain period (depending on the severity of your sprain).

Immediately after getting an injury, one should rest the affected body site. APPLY COLD PAD TO THE INJURED SITE MAY HELP TO REDUCE PAIN AND SWELLING.

DRUGS USED TO REDUCE PAIN AFTER ANKLE SPRAIN include:
1) panadol for mild pain
2) Another group of pain killers called Non Steroid Anti-inflammatory Drug (NSAID) has a stronger action on decreasing pain and swelling. Aspirin, Diclofenac, brufen, naprosyn, mefanamic acid are belonging to this group. Some of these drugs can be bought in the drugstore. However, if you had stomach disease, you should avoid taking these drugs because they may cause more stomach pain or even bleeding inside the stomach. A few people may have allergic reaction after taking certain drug. If you had any doubt, you'd better to consult a doctor before taking these drugs.

By physiotherapy student on Friday, April 06, 2001 - 11:32 pm:  Edit

Dear,
After you pain go down and you should start to build up your muscle because your pain will stop your muscle working. Then your muscle will be weaken and cannot protect your ankle. You might get another episode of sprained ankle again!!! So, for prevention and get you muscle back to work normally, you can seek a phyiotherapist 's advise. They will provide you with treatment. You can ask your Dr to write a referral.

By 小L on Wednesday, April 11, 2001 - 1:10 am:  Edit

hi physio student, u are quite right, i experienced the sort of pain before, i have an idea to share all hikers that do more stretching before, during mid of hiking and the end of trip, it can prevent some hiker-injury, of course, if u get hurt already, pls seek prof advice, by the way, the drug group called 'NSAID' mentioned above is under control by the poison ACT in hongkong i.e. u need to get a prescription to the the medicine. except ibuprofen(brufen) 200mg 3 times daily and aspirin 300mg 3 times daily after food, take tablet when necessary.

By 小超 on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 9:54 am:  Edit

我的左足近腳跟位置踵了, 但不痛, 以前飲啤酒後, 有相同現象, 不過, 現在己經差不多一年沒有飲酒類了,
踵而不痛會是甚麼原因呢, 我沒有太劇烈的運動, 但日常步行每天都有兩三個小時, 會是甚麼回事呢??

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 10:46 am:  Edit

Frankly speaking, it is difficult to say what is wrong with you without a proper examination.

A few questions for you.
1) Any injury in the past to that region?
2) How long has your problem lasted for?
3) Any hotness/ reddness over the region?
4) How swollen is your left heel (compared to the right)?
5) When you press the swollen region firmly, do you feel pain?
6) Would you feel pain at the left heel region when you stand up from a bed (after a whole night of sleep)?
7) Did you see any doctor and have X Ray done before?

By 小超 on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:40 pm:  Edit

to answer your question dd. Feb. 10,
1&2) Should have some injury during long distance hill-walking & fast down-hill running about 15 years ago. Since then nothing special is detected.
seven / eight years ago, severe pain was found & after X-ray checking, 骨剌 was found right at the heel of leg. 跌打藥連續敷了8九天後不再痛了.
3) now both hotness & reddness 5 cm. above the heel.
4) recently about 7 cm (width) x 5 cm (height) x
6 mm (thickest part) looks like a pad around the
後足爭 if take a view from back of後足爭.
Hope you understand such a description.
just now 跌打藥連續敷了4天but seems no improvement. 跌打醫生診斷是骨膜發炎.但他說骨發大
了將會很難縮細;
5) feel pain if press firmly.
6) will try step 6 tomorrow.
7) will take x-ray photo ASAP.
8) i intend to see 西醫骨科 ASAP.
Please comment.

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 10:11 am:  Edit

According to your description, it sounds to me that you have a chronic (long standing) inflammation near the left heel. It may be related with the osteophyte (骨剌) mentioned before.

About the 3rd point: Do you mean that the site of hotness and reddness is not equal to the swelling ?

Are you referring the abnormal swelling to the sole of the left foot or the left ankle?

What is the X ray report?
Any pain at the left heel region when you stand up from a bed (after a whole night of sleep)?

By Trail-Walker on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 7:29 pm:  Edit

Dear,

I have had ankle sprain on ATFL at about 8 months ago . It seems recovered but I found that when I push my leg downward with certain pressure on heel, I feel pain on the area above calcaneus. I think my PTFL didn't get hurt in the incident. Can you please ask me what is my leg going on?

Thanks!

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 4:47 pm:  Edit

There should be soft tissue injury on the area you mentioned. It can be related to the primary injury 8 months ago, or it may be secondary to your improper foot posture/use after being injured.

I am afraid that you didn't receive adequate care/rest after injury. Have you tried physiotherapy /ankle protector? Your problem is a chronic one. You need to give your ankle some rest (may be up to 8 weeks), protect it and do some physiotherapy now.

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration