Subtopic Posts   Updated
Cracking Sound & Knee Pain22  2009/8/23
Muscle Training 23  2005/10/31
A Better Hiking Preparation & Walking Skill13  2002/6/25
Past Articles 211  2001/11/21
Past Articles 118  2001/2/12
   By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 1:14 am:  Edit

Dear RSR,

There is a high chance that you will also develop allergy reaction to naprosyn and mefanamic acid. You'd better to use non- NSAID method to relieve the knee pain (such as rest, cold pad, physiotherapy , acupuncture).

Paracetamol may be used for pain relief. However, some people may be allergic to this drug too.

By RSR on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 4:59 am:  Edit

Hi. I have a knee problem, which flares up every so often, causing pain and is inflammed. I am allergic to Aspirin, Diclofenac,& brufen, causing swelling of my eyes. Will the other two drugs in that group(NSAID) naprosyn,& mefanamic acid affect my condition?? If so what anti inflammatory could i use? Thanks RSR

By km23 on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:23 pm:  Edit

Dear Nite hiker,
Sorry I didn't reply to your question. I don't feel pain at my back and I think it's merely the knee problem.

By km23 on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:23 pm:  Edit

Dear Nite Hiker,
Thx for your care. Yes, I swim both free style/breast stroke/reverse breast strple and I am pretty sure that my knee was hurt by the breat and reverse stroke bcos I tried to swim fast aiming to train my leg muscles.
Indeed my left knee, left ankle has been seriously hurt about 25 years ago (I used to be a triple-jumper and a mid-distance runner.) Even my right knee has been "click.click.click...for years.
I stopped most heavy excersise until 3 years ago, and I hope this would not be a second "full-stop"
My current case, my knee can bend freely. No pain most time unless walk for more than 10 minutes, walk with load or climbing up and down stairs. I start to take the "7-seas" triomega peel, use 701 plaster to ease my pain rather than taking the Panadol extend.
I know what i need is to stop all my work and rest completely, but that's quite unrelaisitic.
: (
Anyway, life will have to pay back

By Nite hiker on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:27 am:  Edit

Dear km23,

Are you swimming in breast stroke? Do you feel pain/tenderness/tireness at your back?

Swimming in breast stroke may hurt your back muscles which may affect your walking.

By km23 on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 6:56 am:  Edit

Many Thx Doctor,
The current situation is that if I had a day off and mimium walking is done, my knee doesn't feel pain. But if I walked (even slowly) for more than 5-10 minutes or up and down for more than 20 steps, there's some slight pain. No swallon is seen and I will observe 1 more week to see how it goes.
Thx again.
Indeed I think I cannot go for the trialwalker in Novemeber...

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:58 am:  Edit

Dear KM23,

Your knee was hurt probably during swimming. Likely the ligament was hurt. The meniscus cartilage of the knee joint is unlikely to be hurt except that you had a severe twisting injury around your knee joint.

What really concern is whether there is any injury to the anterior or posterior cruciate ligaments (theses ligaments support the knee). Injury of these ligament will make your knee a bit "loose"- more obvious when you perform some movements such as jumping forward.

If your knee pain has subsided a lot + you don't feel the knee loose/swollen/red anymore, that should be OK. Otherwise, you 'd better to have an MRI knee (to make sure no ligament, esp the cruciate ligament, was torn). For severe injury with tear of important ligaments, surgery is indicated.

By km23 on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 6:17 pm:  Edit

3 weeks ago, I had some uncomfortable feel (the feel that something is “kick” around my left knee joint, which is quite common after long journey hiking) after swimming (I am a fairly vigorous swimmer). The next day, I swim again and at night I started to feel the pain when I tried to bend my knee. The third day, I went to work as usual, (which requires moderate extend of walking) and at that night pain became serious and my knee just cannot bend at all. I thought it’s the usual problem with most hikers and I did not visit a doctor until the problem persists for 10 days. I visited an Orthopedics doctor on 23rd and he took an X-Ray and found no broken or loosen bones, no unusual “liquid” and he did not think it’s a serious ligament injury (after some bending inspection). He said it’s not common the ligament or bone would be hurt by swimming and very usual when the ligament is hurt; the leg is usually not be able to straighten instead of not able to bend. He also didn’t think MRI is necessary at that stage as he did not observe anything except a slight swollen knee. On top of this, I had told him that my ligament has been hurt when I was 17 (I was a very active sporty guy at that time which is now 20+++ years ago) and his comment is that such old injury should not be the cause of this case. He gave me Celebrex 400mg Caps with Ampra (Omeprazole), plus some panadol extend. I finished the course few days ago (except not taking the Panadol), however, I still feel some slight pain with my knee, especially when I walked for more than 5-10 minutes or climbing up and down steps.
Dear doctor, what is your advice or comment on my case? I am really sorry to bother you but honestly I have no time, and no money : ( to revisit the doctor.

Many thx in advance.

By Jane on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 5:21 pm:  Edit

Dear Doctor

I have stream-hiked a couple of times past few weeks (each 3 or 4 hours), after which I am now feeling slight pain at my left knee, especially so when I bend my knee. Left knee is found slightly swollen; feeling pressure and pain on my left knee when walking downstairs.

I have never had any disease with my knees before. I realize however I have been stream-hiking not with a pair of suitable shoes. This pair of shoes when fully soaked with water weighing almost 5 pds. Would this be one of the causes to my ailment? How long should i be resting? (I surely will not do stream-hiking again with wrong pair of shoes).

Your advice appreciated.

Jane

By Outdoor Doctor on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 5:44 am:  Edit

Probably you have sprained the soft tissue round the knee region. (It can be
the tendon end or some ligaments). But the principle of treatment is the
same- Rest. Try not to do stream hike for 2 months (longer if you still feel
pain at the knee). Also avoid any other exercise that will put stress to
your knee (e.g. running). After you recover, do some swimming to strengthen
the leg muscle first. Gradually increase your exercise (including hiking)
time in the future.
There are different reasons for your injury. A pair of good and fit hiking
shoes is of course important. Some hiking shoes are designed to have
"anti-shock" function. You may consider to have one. A hiking stick (holding
by left hand) should help. But, you may find it a bit difficult to use at
the beginning. Stream-hike is an activity stressing your knee quite often
(especially when jumping down on a rock). In the future, pay attention to
your movement during stream-hike. Avoid those actions that will create a
"shock" to your knee.

By Jane on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 10:43 am:  Edit

thank you, doctor.

By Mr. Share on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:35 pm:  Edit

Dear Mr.Outdoor Doctor,

Hiking/running causes knee pain. true or false?
Exercise is good for health, strengthen muscle in knee...... true or false?

Where is the balance? How much hiking per person is ENOUGH?

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:13 pm:  Edit

Hiking/running does not always cause knee pain. Knee pain may occur in persons who are not prepared to exercise. A good hiking shoe/ stick/ running shoe will help. Pay attention to the posture of walking/running.

Exercise is good for health. Strengthening the knee muscles is important for a serious hiker.

How much hiking is enough? It depends on the individual person (his fitness, tolerability, enthusiasm). There is no fixed rule. The point is: the "fitter" you are, the more hiking distance you can target without hurting yourself.

By saikunger on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 8:56 pm:  Edit

doctor :

能否在這介紹一些可在日常的家居和工作環境能做的強化膝蓋附近肌肉的體操?

thanks

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 12:16 am:  Edit

Please click in "Muscle Training" (the second item at the top of this page) for more information.

By torochai on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 1:09 am:  Edit

Is Glucosamine effective for joint injuries? I have seen some medicine or health food products for joint support with Glucosamine as the main content. Are these products useful? Any other health food or medicine that can help? Thanks

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 11:25 am:  Edit

This drug is sometimes prescribed for patients with osteoarthritis. It may relieve the pain due to osteoarthritis and it may also have some protective effect on the cartilage. Whether it is really useful in treating joint injuries is still unknown.

By Physiotherapist (203.198.252.191) on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 1:53 pm:  Edit

Dear Jane,

I think you may have bursitis, or joint inflammation. If you feel hot, swollen and pain on touching, I suggest you use ice pack to reduce the inflammation first. If you don't feel hot in the joint, you can use hot pack. At this moment, you can wear knee brace for protecting it.

By k on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 12:23 am:  Edit

Please refer to the article bellow about Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome.....
http://www.wppc.hk/2005-1.pdf

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration