Dengue Fever 登革熱

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 戶外大夫專欄 Outdoor Doctor Forum: Dengue Fever 登革熱
   By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 9:17 am:  Edit

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 9:15 am:  Edit

Dengue viruses (type 1,2,3,4) are the cause of Dengue Fever and Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF, which is a more severe form of the illness).

Dengue viruses are present in many parts of the world including Africa, South-east Asia, India, Western Pacific region and Australia (See Diagram above).

The viruses have been found in the monkeys living in the jungle of the involved areas. The virus is transmitted by a mosquito (called Aedes aegypti) to human being. This kind of mosquito bites in the daytime and has a strong preference for human blood meals.

Adventurers/ travellers visiting the tropical areas as shown on the above map should be aware of the potential bite by this infectious mosquito.

A person who has been bitten by an infectious Aedes mosquito may develop symptom 3-8 days afterwards. The symptoms could include sudden fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, muscle pain, bone pain, chill and loss of appetite. A rash (small red dots on the skin) usually appears on the body, spreading to the arms/legs and the face.

Sometimes, a more severe form of the disease called Dengue Hemorrhagic ("Hemorrhagic" means bleeding) Fever may occur. It is a life-threatening disease that requires immediate medical care. The patient could have multiple bleeding under the skin and inside the gut. Liver problem and significant drop in blood pressure could also occur.

There is no vaccine for the prevention of Dengue Fever.
Avoidance of mosquito bite is the most important preventive measure.

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 7:47 pm:  Edit

Close up photos of Aedes aegypti, the mosquito that can transmit Dengue viruses and Yellow Fever virus in the tropical areas

1 2

One of the most characteristic features of Aedes aegypti is the alternate white segments over its legs and body.

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 4:21 am:  Edit

Today's newspapers report a recent case of Dengue fever. The victim is supposed to acquire the infection by mosquito bite in Ma Wan, Hong Kong. Two other people also had antibodies to the Dengue fever virus.

http://full.mingpaonews.com/20020922/__gaa1.htm

Outdoor enthusiast should be aware of mosquito bite prevention, especially going to places around Ma Wan region. Watch out for Aedes mosquito! (The Aedes mosquito found in Hong Kong is Aedes albopictus; Not Aedes aegypti)

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 11:03 pm:  Edit

http://full.mingpaonews.com/20021009/__gbb1.htm

A man is suspected to acquire Dengue virus type 2 after hiking in Tuen Mun area.

By katyroque on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 12:57 am:  Edit

mosquitoes are nasty. i am very much afraid of them. i dont know why i am leaving a message. all i need is to find some pictures with people that have yellow fever and this didn't help me any. well have fun reading all these messages.<333

By crazy_yellow15@hotmail.com on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:31 am:  Edit

!m b0r3d!

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration