Glucose Monohydrate instead of food

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 戶外大夫專欄 Outdoor Doctor Forum: Glucose Monohydrate instead of food
   By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:58 pm:  Edit Posted From: 119.236.128.111

Dear Cordelia,

As long as you can perform well during the trip, your liquid-only diet is OK for you (does not mean that it can be applicable to others).

Carbohydrate intake is essential during your adventure trip. Other minerals, vitamins and aminoacids (derived from protein) are also important.

By thisdress on Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 11:56 pm:  Edit Posted From: 118.20.131.95

Hello Doc,

I know somebody asked before but I can't seem to find the answer... would a Glucose Monohydrate-only diet be acceptable for the duration of a short trip (say, a 2 to 4 days camping trip)?

I mostly do kayaking-camping, covering 40km to 60 km per day, but have to skip lunch to manage it, and am often too lazy to build a fire, cook, clean and make camp by the time I land. In the past I have used a combination of whey-protein drinks and sport drinks (glucose/ electrolyte) for "dinner," and water + sport drinks thorough the day. Is there any health-issues (other than a low morale) with a liquid-only diet?

Thanks,
-Cordelia

By 亞力 on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 12:25 am:  Edit

大夫 :
明白 , 好多謝你的解答 !
其實在未覺得口渴之前 , 我都有 keep 住定時十五至二十分鐘飲一次水 , 只係可能追不上出汗既速度 , 導致缺水而口渴 ! 我會試下飲用你所建議自製運動飲料 , 希望能解決行山時容易口渴的問題 !

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:03 am:  Edit

Yes, this self-made sports drink can replenish your water and sodium content better. It can provide some energy due to the glucose monohydrate. It should be able to make you feel less thirsty (compared with pure water).

Nevertheless, I strongly advise you to drink before feeling thirsty. Thirst implies that you are already dehydrated.

By 亞力 on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 9:39 pm:  Edit

大夫 :
請問你建議的 ( 自製運動飲料 ) , 除左可以補充體力外 , 重可不可以解渴呢 ? 因為我行山時會因出汗多而感到口渴 , 雖然我已不停補充水份 , 但依然覺得好口渴同口乾 , 食完生果 ( 橙 ) 會好左一陣短時間 , 但好快又會有口渴感 !

By JW on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 9:37 pm:  Edit

Thank you Doctor,

Today I have tried your receipe to make "tonic solution" and used during the 7-hr walk. It is effective and I will use again. Thank you again.

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 10:31 pm:  Edit

自製運動飲料(超過90分鐘的運動飲用):
將9湯匙(約81g)得力素葡萄糖粉及1/2茶匙(約3g)餐桌鹽倒入一個兩公升的有蓋容器內,然後加入冷開水將有蓋容器盛滿,搖勻即成

營養成份(per 100ml):
碳水化合物(約)4.1g
鈉(約)56.4mg

一些不可不知的小常識:
1茶匙=5ml=5cc
1湯匙=1中式湯匙=3茶匙=15ml=15cc
不論量度液體、固體或沙粒狀的物料皆以1平匙為原則。

By JW on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 6:27 pm:  Edit

Dear Doctor,

Instead of eating food for energy replenishment during a long walk (8 hrs up) I intend to bring Glucose Monohydrate (得力素) and to add that into drinking water to form as "drinking solution". The advanage of doing this is to save backpack's space and therefore more water can be brought.

If this is a proper proposition then what is the "typical dosage in tea spoon" of Glucose Monohydrate to be used for an adult?

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration