Unreasonably rapid cool-downs

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 戶外大夫專欄 Outdoor Doctor Forum: Unreasonably rapid cool-downs
   By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 4:15 pm:  Edit Posted From: 210.0.229.224

Eat and drink are important for a serious sportsman.

Though your symptom is not suggestive of hypothyroidism, you are still advised to check it because of your family history.

By thisdress on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 5:43 am:  Edit Posted From: 218.102.185.220

Thank you for the suggestions, doctor.

I've been told to drink a lot before I get down to the water, then drink nothing for the first 20-30km, to train my body to perform normally despite dehydration during a long distance race. I got too uncomfortable yesterday and gulped down 1L of sport drinks after the first 22km of paddling, I noticed my performance perked up considerably, and I didn't get the chills on my way home.

Thinking back, all the times I got too cold, I "lacked appetite" and did not take any snacks or dinner while my companions ate. So maybe it does has something to do with low blood glucose. I have no family history of diabetes though.

My mother has hyperthyroidism, I wonder if I can get hypothyroidism? Anyway, you're right, it makes sense to check.

Thanks again, it's scary to hear that it's not normal, but now that I know, I'd better do something about it.

best regards,
-Cordelia

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 11:33 pm:  Edit Posted From: 119.236.0.176

It’s not a normal reaction.

In addition to changing into dry clothes, be sure to hydrate very well during the exercise. I suggest you to drink some glucose water during exercise .

Your problem may be an exaggerated reaction for "cooling down" after vigorous exercise.

Anemia is not related to such coldness sensation.
Check blood for glucose and any thyroid disease (i.e. hypothyroidism)

By thisdress on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 6:39 am:  Edit Posted From: 218.102.185.220

Dearest Doctor,

I started working out in the gym recently, but I have been doing watersports for a long time.

After my first gym session, I went down onto the water to paddle for an hour at maximum speed, then paddled slowly for the last 5 minutes to cool down. Then I landed, stretched, took a hot shower, and took the bus home.

I thought the night temperature was dropping because I was shivering and my skin was covered with goose-bumps. But then a few passengers started complaining about the bus being too stuffy and hot, some of them even walked up to the bus driver to ask about the air-conditioning, apparently I was the only one getting the chills.

This just highlights a problem I've been having for a long time -- my body always seem to cool down unreasonably fast after exercise. I remember crouching next to the radiator trying to get warm after I jogged for 10km when I was a teenager, I was shivering uncontrollably and ended up going to the hospital. Once, after a very long hike, I changed into dry clothes, pitched a tent, went to sleep in my -25C sleeping bag, and I shivered through the whole night. I touched my thigh and my butt, and they were ICY. All my companions were fine. In the winter, when I paddle my kayak on the water, my companions would ask for a break but I had to keep paddling in circle -- because as soon as I stop paddling, my body temperature dives like crazy, I'd shiver uncontrollably.

Is there something wrong with my metabolism? My family has a history of thyroid disorder, maybe this is the onset for me? I have been diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia since puberty, and regular blood work shows I'm still anemic. Does my cooling has anything to do with anemia?

I'm planning a 3-months expedition in New Zealand (sea-kayaking), I need to get this under control before the trip. What can I do?

Thanks a lot.

yours sincere,
-Cordelia

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration