Re-hydration tablet

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 戶外大夫專欄 Outdoor Doctor Forum: Re-hydration tablet
   By JW on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 9:11 pm:  Edit Posted From: 203.218.166.31

Doctor,

Thank for for your reply.

Photo shows that sodium is 90 mmol.

Will try 1 tablet / Litre for first try.

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Monday, June 29, 2009 - 2:51 pm:  Edit Posted From: 210.0.229.224

The Oral rehydration salt is used for treating dehydration due to severe diarrhoea.

Assuming that the tablet contains the constituents with amount as shown on the photo, you should put one tablet in one liter water in order to create a solution (as a treatment for severe diarrhoea).

However, I wonder if one tablet actually only contains 9mmol sodium. By that sense, two tablets means 18mmol. 18mmol in 200mL water means 90mmol in 1L.

The display is a bit confusing.

By JW on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 6:58 pm:  Edit Posted From: 203.218.166.158

My boss brought me packs of rehydration tablets from foreign country and he said that they can be used for the replenishment of electrolyte for long hiking. He remarked that these tablets are in fact to be used for replenishment of electrolyte for those patients who lost body fluid due to illness of the cholera or typhoid.

I would be interested in knowing whether it can be used. If yes, what would be the dosage for adult though the packing says "2 tablets in 200ml water" which appears quite concentrative.

Attached is the photo showing the tablet which is as big as a two-dollar coin.

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration