Yellow Fever in Hong Kong???

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 戶外大夫專欄 Outdoor Doctor Forum: Yellow Fever in Hong Kong???
   By Andrew on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 5:46 pm:  Edit

A friend of mine acted as a volunteer for a mountain race 2 weeks ago. He then had fever-like symtoms for a week before checked himself into the hospital. He was in the ICU for a full week before being released into the general ward.

The following from his girlfriend:

=====

He has a high fever over 1 week, feel cold and feel hot in a short time, a splitting headache and feel lacking vitality and strength, feeble, and some thing like suffering from a disorder of the liver and whole body in yellow, eat nothing. ( result : not A or B Liver )

Reason : Doctor said that it may be a virus infection due to bite by mosquito and could not find out what kind of virus till now after many testing. So, he has already give so many blood.

=====

As of today (more than a week in hospital) the doctors still haven't figured out (or refuse to say) what he contracted. I have talked to his girlfriend and she mentioned again fever, yellowish body and LOW hearbeat and blood pressure when he was in ICU. I strongly suspect Yellow Fever but the doctors said no.

Yellow Fever or not, I want to know what it is instead of just "unknown mosquito bites". I certainly don't want to go hiking and then have to stay in the ICU for a week and blushing death.

I am concerned that local hospitals may be ill-prepared to diagnose Yellow Fever simply because it hasn't been reported in Hong Kong for a long long time. After all, some patients recovered by themselves and those cases simply became "unknown mosquito bites".

By Andrew on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 6:27 pm:  Edit

http://www.who.int/emc-documents/yellow_fever/docs/whoepigen9809.pdf

By kchan on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 6:49 pm:  Edit

I had that injection already !! 10 years protection !!
Anyone should consider this injection if you are going to YF areas.

Contact Port Health for YF information

By Outdoor Doctor (Doctor) on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 1:36 am:  Edit

Andrew,

Did your friend travel to places outside HK in previous few months? If yes, where and when?

Was the mountain race held in HK? Where?

Can he remember any recent bite by insect/mosquito/wild animal in the wilderness?

Any kidney damage?
(Beware that his illness may not be related to outdoor exposure)

Hong Kong is not endemic for Yellow Fever. Yellow Fever is a serious illness which is more than just making a person yellow-looking and feverish.

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration