Illegal tree cutting

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 資訊 News: 反映 Suggestion: Illegal tree cutting
   By Anton on Monday, August 26, 2013 - 9:58 am:  Edit Posted From: 58.152.18.146

This is so sad! And it's still happening 2013, the government and parks department has failed completely in solving illegal tree felling and to this post the exploitation of incense trees in our country parks.

Where I live almost daily fragrance trees are presently being felled, cut in half and left where they fall. I've reported this activity I've called the police the country parks, 999 nothing seems to work in halting this crime.

Our forests are disappearing. Typhoons shake and topple trees, people maintaining graves in the country parks cut trees down mature trees because they like a view once a year for grave sweeping, and the fragrant trees are cut down by illegal resin collectors, ancestors clear private land inside country parks after they haven't been interested in 100 years so mature large trees are swept away in an afternoon, Buddha pine is stolen pulled up roots and all, developers smash trees to build, villages with the small house policy do the same all year. Its heart breaking. I dont know what to do anymore just watch as the trees all disappear, it seems no one in authority is interested or able to protect our country parks at all. This to me is mind boggling in such a small territory as Hong Kong!!!

By Mainlander on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 8:35 pm:  Edit

Did any body see any illegal tree cuttings in our country parks? I saw two men were cutting trees in Cap Lung Trail two weeks ago. The two men looked like our “countrymen”. They were cutting a relatively big tree in the middle of the trial and took a small part of the tree near the root away (Chinese medicine?).

I called the Fishes and Agricultural Department to report the incident the next day and the following few days. Unfortunately, no one answered my phone call (Where the staff had been?).

It is heartbreaking to see our beautiful country park has been destroyed. I am quite disappointed with our FAD for failing in protecting our precious nature. They could have done more!

By Sun & Moon on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 9:49 pm:  Edit

You may call Tel No. 1823.

Their website is www.1823.gov.hk

By Mainlander on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:56 pm:  Edit

Dear Sun & Moon,

For your information, the phone number I called had been provided by the said hotline.

By Sun & Moon on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 12:03 am:  Edit

Dear Mainlander,

You can just leave your message to 1823 and ask AFCD to follow up and give you a report through email/phone later. 1823 have a very powerful computer system to trace and monitor your complaint.

By Mainlander on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 7:47 pm:  Edit

Thanks

By mother on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 5:08 pm:  Edit

近日好似有所行動, 捉到人

By Mainlander on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 8:48 pm:  Edit

I successfully reported the incident to 1823 hotline through email. One of its staff contacted me last week to enquire more about the incident. My impression was the government departments had known the situation quite well. However, there is not too much they can do because of resources constrain. The staff asked me to report any illegal activities either contact them or call 999.

It is well known that our countrymen are exploiting our natural resources both on the mountains and in the ocean. You guys have been taking advance of our mother nature, you have the responsibility to do more to protect it. So, I appeal to you guys do not harm our nature and report any illegal activities if encounter.

By the way, happy mother’s day, mother.

By 鬼王 on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:39 am:  Edit

聽說香港庫房水浸﹐resource constraint 不知道是什麼意思。
與其派糖派錢﹐不如用錢開多些工作職位﹐那錢回流經濟。斬竹灣既然是盜羅漢松
熱點﹐看不出為什麼不應該派特別隊巡邏。

錢不單是為幾株松樹﹐還是為社會的秩序﹐環境的保護。 兇徒盜賊橫行﹐威脅眾多
市民的安全﹐和自由行走的權利。守法市民做守法行為﹐和行走自由的權利最重要。
入深山要怕土匪﹐是小小的東方之珠的特色﹖請議員和首長們檢討現時行政﹐ 看
看有沒有浪費腐敗的地方﹐ 如果沒有﹐就值得原諒這“resource constraint ”解
析。 請大家看看把口像大聲公的議員們怎樣衡量。

By hiker the poor on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:58 am:  Edit

鬼王兄, 香港有個最浪費公帑既部門,叫審計署.
派特別隊巡邏,一定比佢話不付成本效益.

By Mainlander on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 7:57 pm:  Edit

Correction:

The word "advance" in my above message should be read as "advantages"

Dear Gui Wang,

Nice to meet you again.
So, what can we do to protect our countryside?
Should we write an open letter to the government departments concerned asking for more action? As you know the situation has just gone to far.

By Jack on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 8:42 pm:  Edit

Just call 999 asking police for help.

By Sun & Moon on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 9:31 pm:  Edit

Can we ask the government, e.g. Auntie Dong Dong, to stop the trade of Buddha Pines and Fragrance Trees by law, and levy a heavy penalty for setting up the necessary protection.

By Mainlander on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 11:50 pm:  Edit

Maybe we also need to write a letter to the Security Secretary -Mr. Lee Siu Kwong asking him to deploy more marine police force in Mirs Bay where mainlanders have been using for smuggling both people and goods, certainly including those stolen from our marine and country parks.

In addition, the FAD should setup a patrol team, using a boat as the operational platform, at the coastline off Saikung and carry out routine patrols to those popular ii gathering sites.

If the present situation goes on, it will not be for long, our precious and rare natural resources like Buddha Pines, Fragrance Trees and some marine creatures will become extinction.

How could hongkongers tolerate for this to continue?

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration