PDA GPS System

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 討論組 Forum: 行山資料分類 Hiking Subtopics: 裝備 Equipment: 人造衛星定航儀 GPS: 討論 Discussion: PDA GPS System
   By Edwin on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 5:09 pm:  Edit

Anybodies used PDA CF card GPS system?

By Kin on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:34 pm:  Edit

Do you want to buy??? I suggest you to buy the bluetooth GPS if your PDA supports.

By Edwin on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 3:03 pm:  Edit

Yes, I am not purchased any PDA and GPS yet.
I also want to know the comparison between PDA GPS and other GPS system.

Tks

By Kin on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:02 am:  Edit

A PDA based GPS system require 3rd party software to run but a Pure GPS handheld has the manufacturer firmware installed already.

PDA based GPS is good for map navigation since it has larger coloured screen but it's battery life is always limited. So it's not ideal for long duration hiking.

By Edwin on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 1:30 pm:  Edit

Thanks for your information.

Which PDA, GPS card and 3rd party software do you suggest?

I like to see map navigation and it is better can see all the hill path and city road.

I planned to use the PDA in multi-purposes, such as translator, oversea map, notes for viwer point, photo saver and GPS etc.

Can PDA GPS used in car as navigator?

By GPS user on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 1:49 pm:  Edit

GPS在香港接收差,因高廈林立,部份日本、歐洲車都有GPS系統,不過香港用唔到。

Mapking好似有software,不過帶部ipaq+GPS行山,電唔夠用之餘又易損壞器材(汗氣、碰撞),非常不便。

香港商人咁識搵錢,如果可行,一早已經成行成市啦!

By 肥針 on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 11:46 pm:  Edit

Sony has been selling Clies (Palm compatibles) and also a GPS that slides into the Memory Stick slot of their PDAs. You can see it at http://shop.brando.com.hk/pega-msg1.php

However, it seems that it only comes with Japanese software. A pity.

By Kin on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 12:36 pm:  Edit

over topic, Macau free map for PDA

http://www.gis.gov.mo/geoguide/

By Edwin on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 6:23 pm:  Edit

Thank you for all suggestions.

How about not used in hiking and city in HK, but used in oversea as city GPS map?

Any web site can find free software and map ?

By s1xs1x on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 4:24 pm:  Edit

Better use handheld GPS with Bluetooth to transmit positioing data to PDA for navigation, if your PDA has the software installed.

The maps for hiking will be available, according to some PDA shops at Wanchai, in Hong Kong in Jan 2004.

By beef on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 10:25 pm:  Edit

Actually, the comment that...
GPS在香港接收差,因高廈林立,部份日本、歐洲車都有GPS系統,不過香港用唔到。

is not entirely true. i have a Magellan GPS companion for M5XX... originally i use crack version for m515, now paid version for TungstenT.

Drove from mid levels onto eastern coridor... no reception in Eastern Harbout crossing (duh!) but took a while to get a fix in Lamtin.

befor you comment, i turned around to drive back to Central through north point, causewaybay, it was frustrating with the traffic, but the GPS kept tracking along on my RoadFinder... works out nicely.

Honestly, i find the GPS useful for hiking because i always got on the path at the wrong place, end up on the wrong path.

I would recomend against using bluetooth GPS. my GPS companion last approx 4 hours and my Palm is charged when i m in a car if GPS companion is plugged into to the cigarette lighter. Did a road test with Bluetooth GPS, its only upside is you can leave your GPS in your back pack, and if you have the right model. the GPS fix is there and you just turn on your palm and read GPS signals.

By ABC on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 12:35 pm:  Edit

Anyone use Mio168 ? Any comment!

Any PDA model suggest?

By TOM on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 1:58 pm:  Edit

"GPS在香港接收差,因高廈林立....一早已經成行成市啦!"
首先,香港GPS接收差係因為冇WAAS之類既Support. 而本人亦係香港用過Magellan Meridian.冇話收唔到.但PDA既GPS真係好難收,天朗氣清都唔得.等成五分鐘先追到自己係邊.
GPS唔成行成市係因為香港太細,個個都識路,我相信冇乜人係旺角,尖沙咀迷路掛.我行山都有帶GPS,但都好少用,因為條路行過十次八次,地圖都唔駛,更何況GPS.但迷起路上尼,或想知道重有幾遠,都幾有用.

By newboy on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 9:39 pm:  Edit

我只係要個坐標,用來對番張地圖,唔理什麼軟件,咁係咪我係香港買個話誤差3m的,都一樣唔止3m.謝謝

By Kin on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 11:18 am:  Edit

The 3M accuracy is only provided by WAAS service. HK is currently no WAAS coverage until 2005, so the average accuracy in HK country side is around 15-30M.
By the way, the coordinate provided by most PDA-GPS software is not applicable for using with paper map. It is because these softwares give you Latitude/Longitude but not the UTM grid coordination. You are not easy to find your exact location by using such format (e.g. E114 20'15" N22 30'15")
The software such as MapKing is an example of this software. I am not saying MapKing is a bad product but it targets for different market. It is still a good software for PDA mapping and route gudiance.
If you purchase a GPS for PDA use, let's check what software it would provide. Some may provide a good tools for navigating. Otherwise you may choose to use OziExplorer CE, which I always recommended. It is a good software that support scanned map and wide range of map datum format.

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration