失足 Fell off the cliff

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 討論組 Forum: 行山資料分類 Hiking Subtopics: 應急 Emergency: 失足 Fell off the cliff
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
跌落山崖41  2007/4/02
女子攀摩天岩墮崖亡事件之死因研究和專家意見探討 轉自香輕鞀k總會山藝...20  2004/7/13
再續 :摩天岩墮崖亡事件之死因研究和專家意見探討 7  2004/7/08
續 :女子攀摩天岩墮崖亡事件之死因研究和專家意見探討7  2004/7/02
獅子山墮崖女子死亡,你地覺得獅子山難唔難行?27  2007/4/19
另一段傷心的事--全國攀岩冠軍劉喜男魂斷甘孜巴塘雪山1  2007/4/04

By thisdress on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:12 pm:  Edit Posted From: 118.20.132.173

This is my reaction to the many mountaineering accidents on the newspaper recently.

I read about a mountaineering accident just before the new year holiday. To summarize: a family of three went hiking in Kowloon Peak (飛鵝山) one sunny weekend. The mother had an accident and fell over 100 meters, probably because the slope was steep and the path was covered with gravels. The father immediately climbed down to try to help the mother.

A group of foreigners happened to pass by that area and noticed a small child near a cliff all by himself, and immediately thought something went amiss. Some of them called the police for helps with a cell phone while the others rushed to reach the child in order to prevent him from falling off the cliff.

The father later felt it was too difficult to climb down and so he returned to the trail to wait for helps to arrive. The fire department and paramedics arrived, but decided it's too challenging to climb down the slope to reach the casualty. They called GFS (government flight service), which rescued the casualty and brought her back to the trail, she was then transported to the hospital to be treated. She was pronouced dead in the hospital.

Based on the above fact, the accident was the result of poor route-selection by the parents; they failed to consider whether such a challenging hike is suitable for a family with a small child. The father also failed to care for the child after the accident, he climbed down all by himself to reach the casualty, which jeapordized both the father and the child. Under such circumstances, a mountaineerer's crisis-management senses are put to great trial. Individuals should first move himself and the child to a safe place, then report to police to describe in details your location, what happened, and what assistances you require. Then you should wait for help patiently. Never attempt a rescue if you are not trained in mountaineering- rescues.

It's possible to reduce incidents like this by:

1) Pick the right route. Trails like family trails (家樂徑)﹐ jogging trails, and nature-education trails (自然教育徑,) are suitable for families with kids. Families with experienced hikers can also try some of the milder sections of the MacLehose (麥理浩) Trail and the Wilson (衛奕信) Trail.

2) Go with experienced hikers: look for hiking courses offered by local districts, or look in the newspaper for tours. Beware that not all hiking groups have a leader staying at the back, so make inquiries before you go.

3) Proper equipments: generally you should have proper hiking boots, walking sticks, whistle, compass, map, cellphone etc.

4) Keep in mind, if you don't have mountaineering-rescue trainings, never attempt to perform a rescue yourself, or we might end up with an extra victim.

The above article was written with the intention to bring up ways to prevent accidents. I hope forum users will share their opinions.

[translated by Cordelia... I'm sure there are loads of mistakes because I can't type/spell to save my life, but I thought it was a good article so worth the effort to translate and share. Other bilingual forum users please advise if you find blatant, gross mistranslations.]

By newhkcamper on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:27 am:  Edit Posted From: 222.166.102.22

im curious what this is about... can someone summarise this in english?

By Ted Mountain on Thursday, April 29, 1999 - 9:10 pm:  Edit

近期多宗山難事故閱報後有感

事緣在新年假期前閱到報章一則意外新聞﹐大意內容為一家三口﹐乘
週日天朗氣清舉步往飛鵝山附近遠足﹐當途經象山與飛鵝山車路之間
的山徑時﹐母親懷疑因山路斗斜和滿佈碎石的關係失足跌下100 多米
下的山坡身受重傷﹐當其時父親即刻爬下山坡試圖救援﹐同時一群外
籍行山人仕經過只見一名小童單獨留在斜坡上便即時料到有意外發生
﹐他們一面撥手提電話報警﹐一面趕往小童站立之處以防他滾下山坡
﹐父親因感到太危險最後攀回山徑等候救援。及後消防人員和救護員
到場﹔發現山勢過於險要﹐不能直接到達傷者之處﹐其後召喚飛行服
務隊﹐把傷者由山腰救走﹔送抵醫院時証實死亡。

由以上事件看來, 構成意外的起因是父母未有考慮路線是否適合一家
大細同行﹐而且在事發後無安定好小童﹐父親就單身爬下山坡﹐不理
自己二人安全﹔這情形下行友的危難意識受到重大考驗﹐個人的做法
﹐首先把小童和自己帶到安全地方﹔之後打電話報案把身處環境﹐發
生時情形﹐要求甚麼增援一一告訴警方﹐並耐心等候救援﹔切記如無
受過攀山搶救訓練切莫嘗試援救。

要減低意外發生是可以的﹐

(1)撰擇適合自己能力的路線﹕例如一般家樂徑﹐緩跑徑﹐自然教育
徑等﹐都是適宜一家大小的﹔如有一點行山經驗﹐可以選擇麥理浩徑
或衛奕信徑某幾段平緩的來嘗試。

(2) 跟隨有經驗的人仕行山﹕可以參加社區舉辦行山課程或留意報張
旅行隊消息﹐但要留意一般行山隊未必有“押後”行友﹐所以要詢問
清楚才好跟隊出發。

(3)行山裝備﹕一般需要一對行山鞋﹐行山手杖﹐哨子﹐指北針﹐地
圖﹐無線電話等。

(4) 切記如無受過攀山搶救訓練切莫嘗試援救﹐以免救人不到反自招
危險。

以上言論旨在於提出一些避免危險方法﹐還望各網友指正一二。

By kitty on Wednesday, July 07, 1999 - 4:03 pm:  Edit

good publication

somebody likes hiking

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration