Making HK Basemap for GPS

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 討論組 Forum: 行山資料分類 Hiking Subtopics: 裝備 Equipment: 人造衛星定航儀 GPS: 討論 Discussion: Making HK Basemap for GPS
   By Alvin Leung on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 9:26 am:  Edit

Anyone know how to convert dwg/dxf to mif?

I have a software to make and upload the basemap to GPS. But this software only import mif or shq file.

I would like to buy a digital map (dwg/dxf) from Land Department and make the HK map myself.

Alvin Leung

By Carol (129.94.6.29) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 1:52 am:  Edit

You will need a software called Autodesk Map 3D which is specifically designed to work with geographic and topographic mapping. It is released by the same company of AutoCAD so it's fully interoperable with DWG and MIF formats. (i.e., you can convert DWG/DXF into MIF format) I am not sure where you can get it because it seems not many people use it or even heard of that. See if you find a decent software shop and ask the staff to check it out for you. Here is the website: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=3081357

Good Luck!

By Kin (202.82.163.139) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 10:11 am:  Edit

My friends's company is using a software called MicroGraphix, which has a tool to do so.

I think the software you mentioned GPSMapEdit. I think I am doing the similar thing as you. Please feel free to email me at kin_chan@eudoramail.com.

We may able to discuss more about the map making.

By Yip (210.245.147.233) on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 2:49 pm:  Edit

Someone made this in other forum

http://go2nature.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9526

By Daniel (219.79.174.20) on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 11:01 pm:  Edit

I would like to ask which software can upload the digitial map into a GPS. I havn't yet to buy the GPS and where can I buy it.

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration