Rino 120 w/409MHz Walkie - Anyone using?

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 討論組 Forum: 行山資料分類 Hiking Subtopics: 裝備 Equipment: 人造衛星定航儀 GPS: 討論 Discussion: Rino 120 w/409MHz Walkie - Anyone using?
   By VR2VJJ on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 4:26 am:  Edit

Just wanna know if anyone using one of that. Comments? HK Base Map included?

If not, Custom Map could be obtained by 3rd party?
I read the discussion in "GPS" thread on this forum. Any screen capture for such "local base map"?

By Alvin Leung on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 1:26 pm:  Edit

Hi VR2VJJ,

The Rino120 I just brought in Hong Kong is using 462MHz & 467MHz.

I am trying to make HK base map myself now. But I am still looking for the detail image of HK map.

Alvin Leung

By Ryan on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 6:14 pm:  Edit

Hello,

Rino is good for GPS and communication

Ryan

By Kin on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 12:48 pm:  Edit

I thinked about making a HK base map as well. The only thing we need is to find a digital version of HK map from LANDS Dept. The data can be changed into Mapsource enabled by few steps of conversion.

However, the digital data is quite expensive from LANDS.

By Alvin Leung on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 1:39 pm:  Edit

I've checked the Lands Department, for a 1:20000 map cost HK$320/each. You may check: http://www.info.gov.hk/landsd/mapping/chi/digital_map/index/b20000/cb20_index.htm

What software can i make the base map if I have the jpg of map? I only found GPSMapEdit can do it. But I don't like this software.

Hi Kin, can you teach us the step to make the base map? Thanks.

Alvin

By Hiker on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:19 am:  Edit

Alvin,

Why not giving it a trial on the HKmap.img file provided in the GPS forum? You would find out that the map shows information down to street level in most of the area and is very comprehensive in detail already. If you had downloaded the GPSmapEdit software, you could be able to use it and to further develop you own map/area based on that. The map is free! It save you lot of time rather than to start from scratch. If you have time to do it, please also share your enhanced version or newly developed map in here so that your effort would not be wasted.

To develop vector map based on jpg (raster format) is not an easy task either. However, you may try out WINTOPO or RasterVect86 shareware.

If you want, you may visit a China web site named www.sosaw.com which has lots of information. But beware of illegal software which I really don't recommend to use.

By Alvin Leung on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:05 pm:  Edit

Hiker,

Thanks for your information. I d/l the HKmap.img. it is good.

But i don't know how to make detail map (with difference zoom level).

By ku on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 1:55 pm:  Edit

Dear Hiker/Alvin,

For the hkmap.img, can you show me the link ? I tried to search it but cannot find it.. I found a hkmap.zip here, but seems this is not the free map file you mentioned.

By Alvin Leung on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 7:48 pm:  Edit

Dear ku,

Here is the link which is publish by ET

http://www.hiking.com.hk/discus/messages/59/hkmap.zip

http://www.hiking.com.hk/discus/messages/59/12345678.zip

By Hiker on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 10:28 am:  Edit

Alvin,

I am just a user of the free map. For details about the HK map, we better ask ET. I am now able to further add new tracks and routes with different levels into the 12345678.zip (12345678.img) file using the MapEdit software. You may download the tracks and routes within this forum and included such information into the file as well.

Anyway, I would like to thank you for ET's effort in making the HK map.

By Kin on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 2:51 am:  Edit

You need to use ESDI Arcview and convert the Lands' file into SHAPE file. By importing the SHAPE file to GPSmapedit.

The Lands file mentioned may partially suitable to use in Mapsource. It still needs several geo data, such as the "central line" of the road.

I have not tried the ET's file yet, will try it.

By Joe on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 1:45 am:  Edit

Hello all,

I am planning to buy a Garmin GPS, maybe 76CS or 276C.

I read this whole GPS forum but I would like to know if my understanding is right.

1) I buy the digital map from government to convert into Garmin reading format ?
2) If that the two model I listed can import the map ?
3) Even if I buy the GPS unit from US can do the same ?
4) Is it hard to convert the format from original digitial format ?

Thanks in advance

By Kin on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 9:43 am:  Edit

1) I buy the digital map from government to convert into Garmin reading format ?

It is the possible way but not yet tried.

2) If that the two model I listed can import the map ?

Yes

3) Even if I buy the GPS unit from US can do the same ?

Yes

4) Is it hard to convert the format from original digitial format ?

According to the LANDS website, there are several different digital fromat from LANDS. I read the link from Alvin﹐ which mentioned the 1:20000 digital map is selling for $320. However, I don't think it is the appropriate one and most likely, it require a more detailed map (e.g. 1:10000 or 1:5000)and a set of data that contain the Road central line.

By Joe on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 11:26 am:  Edit

Thanks Kin.

So much details that could help me.

By ggppss on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 1:47 pm:  Edit

i think you can forget about it by self-making for private use from the $$$ consideration... just what they mentioned, one map data already cost $320... and dont forget, one map file is just for one area of HK, for one scale. You may need to buy many map file to cover more area, and you may also need different scales.

If your company is developing gps map product, of course, this is the way to do, bcoz a company can buy all of them.. for personal interest, I dont think it worths..... :)

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration