Hong Kong Hiking Web:
I agree with everybody's suggestions. You may want to go with some friends first. If you insist to go alone, you need extra safety margin for the unexpected, like spraining an ankle or getting lost.
For solo trips, your pack should always include the followings:
1. Topo map and know how to use it
2. Reliable compass and know how to use it
3. First aid kit to handle minor injuries
4. Lighter + fire starter (e.g. candle stub)
5. Small knife
7. Mobile phone + extra battery
8. Small flashlight or headlamp w/ extra batteries
9. Water + water purifier
10. Extra food (e.g. energy bars)
11. Extra clothing (If you want to save weight, at least bring a wool hat & a thermal under-shirt)
13. Sunburn preventive/insect repellent depending on the season
14. Toilet paper
Most important: Tell your family/friends exactly where you are going and when you'll be back. If your family/friends do not know that area, give them a map with your route and destination clearly marked.
Good luck! Have a great trip!
| By Nite Hiker on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 11:34 pm: Edit
Posted From: 22.214.171.124|
You may not need lantern, hammer, cutter and scissors.
Take a whistle and a small first aid kit.
I used to camp solo at Tai Long Wan with a shorter distance from Shek Pik.
| By JW on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 9:10 pm: Edit
Posted From: 126.96.36.199|
You may try Kau Leng Chung camping site of Lantau south west if you would like to take the "challenge".
Drop off at Shek Pik Reservoir (west dam) bus station and walk by 90 mins to Kau Leng Chung via the catchwater along the Tai Long Wan. Hope you find some fun of this solitary camping.
Would like to hear your travelogue of mysterious explorations and not miserable experiences!
i already prepared some:
1. backpacks, tent, footprint, sleep bag, sleep pad, lantern, stove and cook set, handy lights, water bag
2. LPG, food and drink (not canning) will buy on the way
3. planning without extra clothes
4. hammer, cutter and scissors
| By 中上坑 on Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 6:30 pm: Edit
Posted From: 188.8.131.52|
| By saikunger on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 9:59 pm: Edit
Posted From: 184.108.40.206|
with all respect