Garmin

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 討論組 Forum: 行山資料分類 Hiking Subtopics: 裝備 Equipment: 人造衛星定航儀 GPS: 討論 Discussion: Garmin
   By Highland on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 12:47 pm:  Edit Posted From: 119.247.128.214

http://www.expansys.com.hk/d.aspx?i=153642

By Highland on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 12:44 pm:  Edit Posted From: 119.247.128.214

http://www.shopeasy.com.hk/productPR_0000414_Prt_b5.html

By wong on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 10:23 am:  Edit Posted From: 58.177.239.86

Does anyone can tell me where i can buy the Garmin GPS eTrex vista in hong kong, I want a hiking GPS for USA;Canada;France and Australia

Thanks !
Wong

By GPSs on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 4:41 pm:  Edit

Hi hikers I'm a great Garmin GPS fans, here I want to share with everyone about Garmin GPSs, what kinds of GPSs you all hikers have? And how's the unit works out? Do express your ideas!

I've got 2 eTrex, one Vista, and going to buy a GPSMAP 176C

By kchan on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 6:47 pm:  Edit

is WAAS working in HK ???
Have you tried DGPS ?

By Kin on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 1:21 am:  Edit

WAAS is not working in HK,

I own a summit and just successed to connect a GPS module with a visor for using customerized GPS mapping.

I buy my GPS depend on the following factors.
- Price
- Battery Life
- Altimeter (For hiking)
- Extendability with PC (for tracklog maintance)

By GPSs on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 1:28 pm:  Edit

To kchan,

WAAS is not working in Hong kong but you can certainly use DGPS. What you need is to purchase a Differential Beacon Receiver GBR 23, but this model is discontinued already confirmed by GPS World today, but they said they have a new replacement called DB 300 which can be use with all Garmin products, its not that expensive as I expected, its around $2500. But getting an accuracy to 1 m!

By kchan on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 6:21 pm:  Edit

DGPS requires external power and it is much heavier. I did consider buying one 3 years ago but it is just too heavy to carry extra power.

For a x86 based GPS like GPSIII, III+, V and others power consumsion is far too high. I am not sure is a 486 really required for a device like this. A GPS may not be able to fully utilities a 486, the memory management technology for these devices are very old too. I feel that a special controller and flash memory should be able to do the job as well. Apart from the CPU consumes too much power, the LCD is power hungry as well. May be Garmin can enhance the LCD function that it can switch to power save mode ie. no display but the machine still receiving signal and processing the data and tracklog. It is just like screen saver, the process remains without displaying anything.

I don't know about the internal storage of a GPS, but I suspect they use pure ASCII for tracklog and waypoint etc.

GPS Wish list:
MMC/CF memory card slot
unlimited tracklog storage (depends on memory card)
LCD display power save
Smaller DGPS
Weight less

By Kin on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 10:54 am:  Edit

Is DGPS working worldwide nowaday?

I read a issue about the coverage of DGPS before and it mainly covers the western country. However, Hong Kong was the only place that support DGPS in South East Asia and it may have better coverage in this century.

By Luk on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 10:55 pm:  Edit

Just to share some experience.
I've just been to Sabah (5deg57minN, 116deg04minE) this month. The satellite signal is very strong. I've got six satellites all the times. It didn't lose signal even inside a coach. Compared with only three satellites in HK and cannot receive signal inside vehicles, my eTrex Vista was very happy there. I was happy too!

By Kin on Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:13 pm:  Edit

Hi,

Did you visit Mountain Kinabalu?

I think it is reasonable for most GPS receiver to get over 6 satellites in the flat-land with no tall building.

I think Hong Kong is the worst place for GPS...

By Wingo on Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 1:50 am:  Edit

Dear Luk

I will go to mountain Kinalu in Oct 02,
please tell me the GPS POSITION FRHT and HAP DATUH set up of Sabah.

By Luk on Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 9:23 pm:  Edit

Wingo,
Pardon me for my ignorance, what are FRHT and HAP DATUH?
BTW, I have a tourist map of Sabah (with grids) within which you can find Kota Kinabalu and Mt Kinabalu.
Let's me know if you need it.
Luk

By Kin on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 9:15 am:  Edit

Luk,

Where did you purchase the map? from Hong Kong or at Sabah.

By wingo on Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 1:12 am:  Edit

Thanks Luk, I need the map, please tell me the details.

By GPS on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 3:35 pm:  Edit

Did anyone bought the Rino 110 or 120 from GPS World already? how does it works? Since GPS World announce that they will have second lot (Their first lot sold out already, they said it takes only 3 days to sold out all the Rinos!!!) coming in early Nov, I would like to buy a pair.

By AY on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 9:10 pm:  Edit

I am a GPS newbie who would like to invest on my first GPS unit. I made an enquiry about Garmin Vista today at Apliu Street. The salesman said that the regional map which accompanies the unit should be good enough for hiking purposes in Hong Kong. He further said that a scanned map produced by some software can be loaded into the unit. I wonder if his remarks are entirely correct? Any comments from experienced users please. Is Apliu Street the place where I can buy the unit at cheapest price. Thanks.

By Kin on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 10:25 am:  Edit

I can tell you that guy is only "Hard" selling the product with high profit margin.

I guess the product he mentioned is ES MAP, but meanwhile, there is NO solution to install a user defined map into the Garmin GPS unit.
The Hong Kong map from garmin is only used for Driving only, which doesn't not have any track information in it!

I suggest you to buy the GPS unit at the vendor.

By AY on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 10:51 am:  Edit

Thanks Kin.

This is the problem I faced when choosing a GPS. If a GPS cannot display a map of sufficient details, what is the purpose of carrying such a unit during hiking, especially when one gets lost? Would the unit be of little use if it can only record the data for subsequent processing?

The salesman quoted a price of $3980. Can the vendor offers a lower price? Thanks for your advice.

By Kin on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 9:13 pm:  Edit

I think you can get few hundreds cheaper for a Vista/w HK map.

If you prefer GPS mapping, you are better to choose the GPS-PDA solution. Therefore, you can use scanned map with OziExplorer CE.

By AY on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 9:40 pm:  Edit

Thank you for your advice.

By vr2yet on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 9:28 pm:  Edit

Kin

How can the OziExplorer CE works with your GPS units?

What is the size of the map shown on your iPaq or within the OziExplorer CE program?

By Kin on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:35 am:  Edit

Using iPAQ com cable Garmin GPS (USING NMEA out, rate 4800.)
The only things you need to concern is the cable. I used a cheaper solution, which I have connected the units by NULL Modem converter.

The screen disply on the OziExplorer CE is very very nice, it is full screen and the detail and resolution is just depend on the map resolution you scanned.

By Kin on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 9:12 pm:  Edit

A passage about how to make your own map for using in Garmin GPS

http://www.gpsinformation.net/gpsmapper/gpsmapper.htm

By AY on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 2:31 pm:  Edit

Thanks Kin.

I shall have to study it in details.

By Kin on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 4:59 pm:  Edit

Garmin has announced a series of new GPS models. It include a Palm comp. unit and 2 new style handheld.

http://www.garmin.com/mobile/

By Kin on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 5:07 pm:  Edit

As I saw in the spec. of Geko 201, which it offers over 10000 track points storage capacity!
Unfortunately, this model is quite a low-end one. I hope that Garmin will issue some high-end GPS unit in coming future.

By AY on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 3:27 pm:  Edit

Kin,

Have you ever tried to use the GPS Mapper utility to generate user-defined maps. I have studied the article in the link above and found it quite difficult to understand.

By the way, do you think it is still worthwhile to buy the Vista now? Will it be replaced by other models very soon? Also if you happen to know where I can buy it at the cheapest price, please send me an e-mail. Thanks.

By Kin on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 9:59 am:  Edit

Sorry that I didn't try to use the tools because my Garmin GPS does not provide map function.
The concept is to convert the vector map using the GPSmapper tools (Normally, the map used in OziExplorer is Raster, so you need to DRAW the map on OziExplorer). Therefore the Garmin GPS can use it.
I am wondering if I can use the HKSAR's geo data to do some conversion so we can use the country map in Garmin. By the way, I guess that the similar outcome can be gotten by coverting a raster map to vector map using some graphical tools. However, I think both of them do work but are massive.

I think that the Vista is still the most powerful unit for outdoor activity (because of it's mapping, Altimeter and internal compass) and it will not be replaced in short coming future.
You can see the link in this discussion group, which had introduced the best/cheapest place to buy the unit.

By AY on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:26 am:  Edit

Thank you so much for your advice, Kin.

I think I will buy a Vista before the Chinese New Year and will try to use the GPS Mapper.

>You can see the link in this discussion group, which had introduced the best/cheapest place to buy the unit. <-- Can you be more specific? Or you can send me a e-mail. Thanks again.

By vr2yet on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 3:37 pm:  Edit

Kin

Does the OziExplorer CE need to be registered before the trial operation ?

Are there any universal registeration code available ?

By Kin on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:53 am:  Edit

It does not require any registration for the demo version.

Sorry that I didn't find any reg. code for Ozi CE yet.

By Roy on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 8:36 pm:  Edit

想問一問Garmin Vista 的用家,
Vista 換一次電次可用幾耐??(包括省電和不省電模式)

By Kin on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 3:14 pm:  Edit

New announced color LCD GPS from Garmin

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cs/

and

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60c/

By Kin on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 3:07 pm:  Edit

一個網上GPS 興趣組﹐正計劃建立一系列for GPS 用的自定地圖,讓人download。另有教你造map 的Tutorial.

http://www.keenpeople.com/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=71&op=page&SubMenu=

By as5618 (203.186.131.206) on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 11:24 am:  Edit

想問一問如何將GARMIN eTrex Legend 英文機內資料下載到PC儲存, 用什麼程式, 及方法.

By Net on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 11:09 pm:  Edit

Who can tell me how can I get detailed map of Sabah?

By Tommy (Tom) on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 1:55 pm:  Edit

Uploaded to:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tloga2

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration