GPS

Hong Kong Hiking Web: 討論組 Forum: 行山資料分類 Hiking Subtopics: 裝備 Equipment: 人造衛星定航儀 GPS: GPS Tracklog Database: GPS

Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through August 05, 2003105  2003/8/05

By MV on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:41 pm:  Edit

www.it18.com
GPSOrienteering softare
這GPS 手機Program 可把你行山時的位置傳送到網上,亦可於手機計算行程距離,及座標讀取等。
毅行者support team 可用手機上網,便得知參加者最接近的pole number. 不用苦等或常打電話影響參加者。行山時亦多一點安全保障。

By tang zhengping (Xiaoniu99) on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 2:06 pm:  Edit

GPS wrist watch on web: www.cachn.com. GPS wrist watch GALICY only sale on RMB980.

By Webtracker on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 1:33 am:  Edit

各位喜歡行山遠足的朋友,你們可以使用網蹤者http://www.webtracker.hk 的服務輔助戶外活動。
網蹤者的服務是結合互聯網、移動電話網絡及衛星全球定位。

By HK vistor on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 4:09 pm:  Edit

ET, if you still frequent this place, I was wondering if you still have the more detailed, ~1MB .img file for the map of HK? I intend to visit HK in a few months.

By Kin on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 11:10 pm:  Edit

You need to use a user configurable datum, but I couldn't find the parameter for the HK1980 system.

In this case, i use HK1963 datum instead, which I found quite similar to HK1980.

By Kin on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 1:30 am:  Edit

Skill to improve GPS visibility to the satellite:

Some people often says that they got poor satellite visibility when using their GPS, let me share some of my experience here.

When you start up your GPS, you would find a graph in the satellite page that shows how strength the signal received from each particular satellite.

You can notice that some white blocks and some black blocks.
The white blocks mean that the signal is transferring from the satellite at the INITIALIZING stage. This mean the satellite would not be used by your GPS, unless all the satellite parameter has been transfer to the GPS (It takes around 30s for each satellite)
When all the parameter has transferred to the GPS, it will change to a BLACK block and means “AVAILABLE”

As you know, the satellite is running around the earth constellation and the available satellites are changing from minute to minute, therefore if some lately raised satellite appear but you cannot give it a 30s CONTINUOUS exposure to the satellite visibility, it will never been available during your trip.

As time goes on, some satellite which was available would become unavailable since the “Satellite Set” (Leaving the horizontal sphere of the land). If you can’t get exposure to newly appeared Satellite and keep loosing the “Connected” satellite, the number of satellite will become fewer and fewer, until you got no GPS signal at all.

That’s mean, you should take out your GPS frequently during your trip, especially trekking in the valley, when you see the white block satellite, stay at a good position until it change to black. Then you will have a good GPS accuracy all the time.

By fai on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 8:48 pm:  Edit

anyone have Garmin GPS 76S in Hong Kong.. please call me 9543195.. thanks

ray

By hanson on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 4:44 pm:  Edit

有無什麼GPS map 能 cover 香港海上用?

By Kin on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 2:39 am:  Edit

Garmin Mapsource BlueChart

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/bluechart/card.jsp?sku=MAE004R

By albertfung on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 6:00 pm:  Edit

GPS 新方案
所用儀器
1. Holux GR-230 藍芽無線GPS接收器.
2. Compaq H3870 pocket PC.
所用軟件
1. Mapking 香遙楊洫|地圖.
好處
1. 藍芽接收器向天放於背, pocket PC
也可放於背包或腰袋, 很重要不用手拿.
2. 地圖已包括主要行山徑和郊遊徑.
3. 地圖較一般的手持GPS 清楚.
4. 可紀錄很長時間行山路徑.

已用二月極可靠, 不輪行山或踏單車能輕易紀下路線和定位.

By ET on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 11:42 am:  Edit

I think many of us are looking for HK map that can be download into their Garmin GPS. I brought a Garmin Vista quite sometime ago and I did download the HK map from the distributor with a cost of around HK500 (I cannot remember the exact amount). I later found out that the map would be erased once you download another map into the unit. I had written to Garmin US, Taiwan and the HK distributor complaining about the issue but no solution was provided (of course no refund as well!). And because of this, the distributor changed the policy of HK100 for reload and Taiwan Garmin did it for free (Taiwan Map) through the Web. I was very frustrated and I started my custom-made project. I used freeware (GPSmapper, Mapedit and Oziexplorer) that can be downloaded from the Web and scanned map to create map for HK and specific map for overseas hiking trip. The HK map is of course not perfect and coarse but it can be re-used and one can plot or draw your own track into it (Mapedit is a very powerful tool to do it). If there is a place to hold the file (about 1M in .img format), I do not mind to share it with all of you hiking lover with Garmin GPS toy. Please note that you may have to download the freeware GPSmapper to upload the map into your GPS if you do not have Mapsource from Garmin. If you do have Mapsource from Garmin, you may as well make the HK Map as part of your Mapsource product by some modification of the Windows' registry.

Beware that I do not guarantee the accuracy and the map is subject to error.

application/x-zip-compressedHKmap.zip
hkmap.zip (72 k)

By ET on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 4:31 pm:  Edit

Dear all,

Don't have to wait for a place to hold the file. I had just streamline the process and cut down the details of the map to less than 150K in img format so that anyone interested may try it out. Please note that you take your own risk in uploading the file to your GPS unit. I tested it on my Vista unit and I think it should work on Legend or other similar product as well.

You may need to download the freeware from the following sites. GPSmapedit is for review and to modify/edit the map (In fact, it is to certain extent a GIS type of software). GPSmapper is for map creation in Garmin format and to upload file to your Garim GPS unit. Please do a quick background study on the software before you proceed with the uploading process.

Enjoy and happy hiking!

gps.chrisb.org
www.geopainting.com

application/x-zip-compressed12345678.zip
12345678.zip (141 k)

By Kin on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 2:10 pm:  Edit

>GPS 新方案
>所用儀器
>1. Holux GR-230 藍芽無線GPS接收器.
>2. Compaq H3870 pocket PC.

It is actually a good solution. I have had planned to have similar device but did not implement it because of the following reason:
1. How long does the battery last for after I have fully charge the PPC.
2. Is tracklog function still able to operate while the IPAQ sleep(Auto Power off)/ screen off.
3. Compatibility of MapKing tracklog to some popular navigation software. (e.g. OziExplorer, Fugawi)

The pocket PC based model is ideal for driving, where you don't need to worry about the power supply and weather change. For hiking, I still recommend a single unit GPS

By albertfung on Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 8:37 pm:  Edit

Kin
>GPS 新方案
>所用儀器
>1. Holux GR-230 藍芽無線GPS接收器.
>2. Compaq H3870 pocket PC.
1. I use an external battery box with 4 AA 2100 mA rechargeable battery then the machine can last for more than 8 hours.
2. The tracklog function operates well. The IPAQ will not turn off since the program is runnung but turn off the back light to save power.
3. The MapKing program is very powerful. It can give more you wanted.

The most important points of this system are
1. You are handfree but for a single unit GPS you must hold it face the sky all the time.
2. The screen (size, resolution and colour) of pocket PC is much better than a single unit GPS.
3. The map provided by MapKing is more detail than those provided by single unit GPS system.

The Compaq H3870 pocket PC is an old machine. If I can get a faster pocket PC and the battery is replaceable then it is perfect.

By cw on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:33 am:  Edit

有 d 煩惱,
最近試下部 gps,
出街後把條 saved track download 番落電腦到,
用 gps trackmarker 睇,
再把香港東北區的香港地圖 (1:25000) scan 入去,
把兩件野一拼埋時, 發覺有成 200米相差 !
點解呢...... 無理由相差咁遠......
是否我部 gps 有問題呢,
因為我第一次開機時, 沒有俾架機 track d satellite 5 - 15 分鐘,
就硬要架機做野.

或是我張地圖既 datum 唔係 wgs84,
因為地圖上沒有寫明係 wgs 84,
但係我張地圖係 1992 年版.....
點算..... ?

By Ron on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 3:25 pm:  Edit

Govt map of 1992 is NOT with the same datum as your GPS now using. The difference is indeed around 200m each in east-west and north-south direction. I've forgotten the exact value for adjustment. You can use a newer version of govt map to aovid the problem (1995 version is OK).

By postman on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 5:27 pm:  Edit

請問邊度有平 eTrex cable 線賣?
最好有 usb to Mac Cable, Thanks !

By eeee on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:47 pm:  Edit

> 請問邊度有平 eTrex cable 線賣?
睇下有無你要0既..? 呢度都唔算平(以一條無乜特別的線來說..), 但比garmin原裝線都算平左好多..
http://pc-mobile.net/gedc.htm

又或者可以"買"個插自己整一條.. 自己睇下..
http://www.pfranc.com

By sosos on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:17 pm:  Edit

Hello Guys I am new here, and I like hiking in HK very much, I got a Garmin GPS 76SC, anyway a nice device but without map no fun. The provided maps by Garmin are useless, I propossed to Mapking to use also the Garmin format for they HK and China Maps. But until now only a blank map and even plotting tracks or routes is difficult since computer maps and software hardly exist to at least having accurate positioning. Can somebody help?

Olaf

By kei (222.166.188.46) on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 12:26 am:  Edit

我留意到一部Mio 168SE Plus有GPS、有汽車導航功能,香港行山、揸車是否適用呢?有冇前輩用過,可否俾啲意見?謝謝!

By Kin (218.191.226.161) on Saturday, December 18, 2004 - 11:30 pm:  Edit

應該沒有行山專用地圖呢.
但駛車的話, 有導向, 算不錯.

By hi (218.191.171.106) on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 3:30 am:  Edit

藍芽GPS與PDA的配合應用

http://go2nature.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10584

By dingdong (61.10.185.51) on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 10:01 pm:  Edit

hi , I am a new user using mapkingV2 in my ipaq
Can anyone teach me. What format did this program can read? I have a map which format is in mk5 .
How to input new map into my ipaq ?
thanks a lot

By dingdong (61.10.185.51) on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 10:04 pm:  Edit

i am using ipaq3417, hp said i can buy a bluetooth gps receiver which cause 11xx hk dollar. Can anyone tell me is it worth to buy this model in this budget.

By Kin (218.191.226.161) on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 1:11 am:  Edit

According to other newsgroup, Mapking can read the map from PaPaGo.

The Holux Blue tooth is quite good. It use sirf II chips.

However, the sirf III chips is coming soon. It is better in preformance but obviously more expensive.

By dingdong (61.10.185.51) on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 6:28 pm:  Edit

thanks kin, if i have a map in format mk5. than what to do so as to use it in mapkingv2

By Kin (218.191.226.161) on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 2:09 am:  Edit

Sorry, I don't know if you can use the new map on old software version.

By dingdong (61.10.185.51) on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 9:13 pm:  Edit

thanks a lot kin

By YK (59.188.82.223) on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:16 am:  Edit

Who can tell me where I can buy the GPS receiver in hk ?

* Which via bluetooth to PDA

By Kin (203.198.131.81) on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 10:37 am:  Edit

電腦商場

By vinvin (219.77.12.99) on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 11:10 pm:  Edit

買receiver 記得買用新既sirf III晶片那些

By hiker the poor (219.79.64.10) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 9:25 pm:  Edit

我點知係用sirf III晶片

By vin (219.77.12.99) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 12:53 am:  Edit

個specification會有寫的. 現時牌子例如有holux 236.

By kk on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 7:28 am:  Edit

本人想買部gps機只是用來打golf用,可測出距離便可.請問有沒有一些便宜和實用的介紹.

By messhong on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 9:56 pm:  Edit

etrex
geko101

By esbwong on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 11:29 pm:  Edit

Any one has a more detailed mapsource img file for Hong Kong???

By Kin on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 1:44 am:  Edit

http://go2nature.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14373

By Tom on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:32 am:  Edit

I like hiking and overseas travelling and have been thinking of buying a GPS for a long time. However general comment on the poor reception of GPS in HK has somewhat put me off in investing in one.

Now that the more senstitive SirFIII chipset is available, I am again struggling, this time on whether to get a bluetooth GPS+PDA or to buy a handheld GPS.

After a few month's research I have finally decided to go for a handheld unit for the following reasons:

1. 2AA batteries will last for over 12 hours of continuous use for a handheld GPS. For the PDA solution that would mean a lot of spare batteries for both the PDA and the BT GPS receiver.

2. The handheld unit is waterproof to IPX7 and I don't have to worry about using it in the rain or for water activities.

3. I had a Palm PDA once and I seldom use or carry it with me so a PDA will not be an additional advantage to me when I am not using the GPS function.

The only drawback is on the availibility of map for the handheld GPS. However I found a lot of free resource for making your own map or download it from the internet so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll post here on my experience later.

By speedstar on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:05 pm:  Edit

If you buy Garmin there are quite a lot of map sources. Not a big problem.

By Chris K. on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 4:56 pm:  Edit

Does Garmin offer maps for Hong Kong local hiking routes or the Four big Trails? I cannot find any.

By Tom on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 5:05 pm:  Edit

I have the waypoints for the location markers along the 4 big trails if you want it.

By Michael Leung on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 12:28 pm:  Edit

Tom,

Can I have the waypoints for the 4 big trails location markers please (send to my email).

Also, as asked by Chris, does anyone know if there is any HK Hiking route map(s) that we can import into Garmin-Vista? Garmin eteck is a good device for outdoor sporting activites

By Michael Chu (Scchu) on Monday, July 10, 2006 - 8:35 pm:  Edit

Michael Leung,

Your can get information from :
http://go2nature.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=587198#587198

Also you can convert the OziExplorer waypoint format to Garmin by using GPS TrackMaker

By Tommy (Tom) on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:57 pm:  Edit

>Can I have the waypoints for the 4 big trails location markers please (send to my email).

http://www.go2nature.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18219

By kin on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 12:00 am:  Edit

位置唔準確呢.

By Tom on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:41 pm:  Edit

此為漁護處資料,應該會有誤差。

Add a Message

You can use any username with password "hiking" to post. Registered users and moderators can also post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Profile Close Page Delete Page Move Page Log Out   Administration